Monday, February 18, 2008

What Does It Really Mean?

I was reading a book and during a fight one character called the other a cakesniffer. This made me wonder, what is a cakesniffer? I mean seriously, what is it and how is it an insult let alone a good one?

I tried to think of possible definitions of this so-called insult. I came up with only a few believable ideas. Maybe a cakesniffer is what they call an apprentice to a baker, or it could be a name for a person who prefers pie to call someone who prefers cake.

Both of these guesses are highly possible but just didn't seem like they captured what the insult was trying to deliver. Then it hit me. Suddenly I felt as though I knew exactly what cakesniffer meant. Now even though I do not truly know its meaning I feel this is a valid attempt at its definition. I think that cakesniffer is a way of sugar coding an insult towards anorexics. I mean think about it. If all a cakesniffer does is sniff the cake and not eat it then wouldn't that be an anorexic? This brings up another question. If a cakesniffer really is an insult towards anorexics then wouldn't cake eater be an insult towards bulimic or even obese people or is it simply a name for people who enjoy eating cake?

Eventually I decided that if an insult takes this much thought to undertand then it really isn't a good one. So please just stick to the originals like moron, idiot, or stupid. There's a reason that they're still around.

2 comments:

DSDragon said...

HAHAHAHA!

K, you should definitely keep up with a blog, if this is an example of the hilarity of your "work."

By the way, I can think of two alternate definitions for the word cakesniffer:

1) A rather cruel thing to call a very poor person. They can't afford sugar, and therefore cannot afford cake, so when they smell it, they are only able to sniff (smell) how good it is, while the rich (or not-so-poor), snobby people only laugh, not offering them any at all.

2) I'm not sure whether or not I should share this definition here, so I'll only say it has blatant sexual connotations.

Now that I've commented on your blog, maybe you could comment on mine? *begs*

Unknown said...

I think a cakesniffer is:
Poor People That Can't Afford Food So They Sniff Cakes Because they want it and they think it smells so good.


hope this helps